Monday, May 17, 2021

Death of a Habit

 By Andrea Merrell

 

Above all else, guard your heart,
    for everything you do flows from it.

Proverbs 4:23 NIV

 

I killed it. Buried it. Laid it to rest years ago. R.I.P.

 

But as we all know, old habits don’t always die easily. Sometimes they pop up out of the ground and sneak up on us like a scary movie.

 

Anger controlled me for years. It became a bad habit. An extremely bad habit. My default. Whenever I was unable to control a situation, I got mad. It was a terrible problem that I prayed about continually. One day God revealed to me my problem was a choice. When things didn’t go my way, I chose this ungodly reaction.

 

That’s the day my anger died. A done deal. Never to be seen or dealt with again. Or so I thought. Unfortunately, it still rears its ugly head when I least expect it and, once again, I have to make a choice.

 

The Bible calls us new creations. When we accept Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, we’re told to take off the “old man” and put on the “new” (Ephesians 4:22-23). The key is knowing it’s a process—not an event. It’s called sanctification. Walking it out. Growing in our faith.

 

As long as we live in these earthly bodies, we will be engaged in a war between the spirit and the flesh. The one that wins is the one we feed the most.

 

If you’re dealing with bad habits, take responsibility for your own thoughts, words, and actions … then take them to the Lord. He is ready to help you when you’re ready to turn them over to Him. 


TWEETABLE

Old habits don’t always die easily. Sometimes they pop up out of the ground and sneak up on us like a scary movie. via @AndreaMerrell (Click to tweet.)


 (Photo by Valeriia Miller from Pexels.)

To read in browser or leave a comment, click here.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment