Monday, May 31, 2021

How Far Did the Apple Fall?

 By Andrea Merrell

 

So God created human beings in his own image.

Genesis 1:27 NLT

 

We’ve all heard it said, “The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.” 


Thankfully, in my case, this apple hit the ground and rolled down the hill ... far from the tree. Because of selfishness and poor choices, my family adopted a lifestyle that I was determined not to follow or repeat.

 


What I’ve learned is that my past and my ancestry do not determine my future. One writer says that even when there’s “damaged fruit” on the tree, it doesn’t have to affect us, especially when we realize God has a plan and purpose for our life.

 

Even Jesus had damaged fruit on his ancestral tree. Rahab was a prostitute. Jacob a liar and conniver. And David an adulterer and murderer.

 

The truth is no family is perfect, and we should never label people because of where they come from—not even ourselves. Bob Gass says that “spiritual DNA trumps natural DNA.” We were created in the image of our Father, and that’s a tree we want to stay very close to.

 

 (Photo by Timotej Nagy from Pexels.)


TWEETABLE

Our past and ancestry do not determine our future because spiritual DNA trumps natural DNA. via @AndreaMerrell (Click to tweet.)


To read in browser or leave a comment, click here.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment