Monday, April 1, 2024

Passing the Taste Test

 

By Andrea Merrell


Taste and see that the Lord is good. Psalm 34:8 NLT


Most of us have a love/hate relationship with social media, but in this high-tech world we live in, it’s the best way to stay connected to friends and family, not to mention news-worthy events and other important tidbits.

While some things I don’t wish to see on Facebook come across my feed daily, there are others I appreciate and look forward to. Like recipes. Many of them have been, as my husband says, “keepers.” Others I’ve tried have been labeled as epic fails or Facebook faux pas, never to be seen or heard from again.

Dispels the myth that “if you saw it on the internet, it must be true.”

One thing is certain. When we look for what is “a keeper,” we can always count on Scripture, God’s Word that is forever settled in heaven. That’s where you’ll find no epic fails or faux pas. The old adage goes, “If God said it, I believe it, and that settles it.” What it should be is this: “If God said it, that settles it. Period.”

The Bible tells us we should “taste and see that the Lord is good.” In other words, we don’t know how good something is until we try it, just like my FB recipes. But I can say without exception that everything I’ve tried (through obedience to His Word) has turned out to be very, very good. I’ve tasted God’s goodness in so many ways: Protection. Provision. Healing. Forgiveness. Wisdom. Guidance. Peace. Joy. And His amazing, unconditional love.

In this world, some things will pass the proverbial taste test, while others will not. If you want something you can always count on, you can count on God and His Word. 


 Photo by Nick Fewings on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment