Monday, March 27, 2023

Don’t Despair

 

By Andrea Merrell

 

We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair.

2 Corinthians 4:8 NIV

 

There I was again … in despair. Needy. Overwhelmed by problems that threatened to take me down. Tears flowed freely as my pity-party got into full swing.

Then I opened Jesus Calling by Sarah Young, and these words smacked me in the face: "You need Me every moment. Your awareness of your constant need for Me is your greatest strength. Your neediness, properly handled, is a link to My presence." ~Jesus

The choice was simple—depend on Him or remain in despair. I could either continue to fill my mind and heart with my problems or His presence.

I won’t say it was the easiest thing I’ve ever done, but I chose His presence. I chose to cast my cares on Him and trust Him to work things out as He saw fit.

When the cares of this life close in on us, it’s easy to fall into worry. Anxiety. Fear. Even depression. We can focus so much on our problems that we tend to lose all hope. The loud, accusing voice of the Enemy will try and convince us that God has abandoned us. That He won’t come through for us this time.

But the Enemy is a liar, and God’s Word is the only truth we have to stand on. God sees us. He knows us. He is for us. He will do battle for us. And He will win every time, so there’s no need to despair.


Photo courtesy of Kayla Koss on Unsplash.

No comments:

Post a Comment