Monday, April 12, 2021

Toothbrushes Aren’t Just for Good Oral Hygiene

 By Andrea Merrell

 

But if we confess our sins to Him, He can be depended on to forgive us and to cleanse us from every wrong. And it is perfectly proper for God to do this for us because Christ died to wash away our sins.

I John 1:9 TLB

 

I love for my house to be clean, but sometimes I get in a rush and do a quick swipe here and there rather than a thorough cleaning. Later, upon closer inspection, I see all the little areas that need more attention.

 

It always amazes me how many of those areas you can only get to with an old toothbrush—dirty little places that can be reached no other way no matter how hard you try. Once I take the time to scrub away the hidden grime, it gives me a tremendous sense of satisfaction.

 

One day I realized how easily the same thing can happen in me. Just when I think all is well and I’m “clean” before the Lord, I discover all those hidden crevices filled with wrong attitudes and bad habits. A harsh word here. An unfair judgement there. Unforgiveness that needs to be addressed.

 

A quick swipe of “sorry, Lord” won’t do it. That’s when I have to ask Holy Spirit to get out the spiritual toothbrush and clean out all the hidden junk. It might not always be comfortable, but it gets the job done. When it’s over, it’s a feeling like none other.

 

Are you in need of a little extra scrubbing today? No problem. The Lord is ready when you are, so go ahead and ask.

 

And remember … toothbrushes aren’t just for good oral hygiene.

 

(Photo courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net and khuruzero.)

 

TWEETABLE

Allow Holy Spirit to clean out all those hidden crevices filled with wrong attitudes and bad habits. via @AndreaMerrell (Click to tweet.)

 

To read in browser or leave a comment, click here.

2 comments: