Monday, February 8, 2021

Learn to Go with the Flow

 By Andrea Merrell

 

We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps.

Proverbs 16:9 NLT

 

I’m an excessive planner. A list maker. Always thinking ahead about the what ifs and all that needs to be done.

 

In Jesus Calling, Sarah Young calls that “a commonly practiced form of unbelief.” She goes on to say, “Just when you think you have prepared for all possibilities, something unexpected pops up and throws things into confusion.” 

 

Ouch! Ever been there? I have. More times than I can count. By trying to control the future, the only thing I ever accomplish is losing my peace.

 

In reality, we’re not meant to be in control or figure out the future. When we place our life in God’s hands, our responsibility is to trust Him and walk in step with Him one day, one moment at a time. As a popular song says, “there’s not a day ahead He has not seen.”

 

Psalm 37:3-7 gives us a simple formula: trust, delight, commit, rest. Now that’s a recipe for true peace.

 

I’m still a work in progress, but I’m learning to go with the flow—God’s flow.

 

How about you?

 

(Photo courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net and Phil_Bird.)

 

TWEETABLE

By excessive planning and trying to control the future, all we accomplish is losing our peace. via @AndreaMerrell (Click to tweet.)

 

To read in browser or leave a comment, click here.

2 comments:

  1. Every day. I have learned to go with the flow since I married to my husband. He is a planner and often times plans my days :-) I used to get upset, but have grown used to it. It's not worth the stress when my things don't get accomplished. I've learned that God will give me time when necessary to get those things done. I love the Psalm 37:3-7 formula. That, I will hang on to and put into practice. Thanks, Andrea, for a practical devotion we can all learn from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learning to be flexible has been quite a challenge for me, but I love the peace that goes along with it. And you're right, God will always give us the time to do what's necessary. Thanks so much for your encouragement. Blessings! :)

      Delete