Sunday, June 28, 2020

Choose Your Friends Carefully and Prayerfully


By Andrea Merrell


There are “friends” who destroy each other,

    but a real friend sticks closer than a brother.

Proverbs 18:24 NLT
 
The relationship was toxic. I knew it deep inside but didn’t know what to do. I loved my friend, but she was manipulative and deceitful. Our time together drained me every single time, leaving me emotionally spent. I needed the courage to walk away. Fortunately, by God’s grace, I moved to another state and that was, as they say, that.


God wants us to have healthy relationships. He sends people into our lives who will support and encourage us. Pray for us. Bring out the best in us. People who sincerely care and will be there for us no matter what. People who add value to our lives. Sometimes these relationships are only for a season. But sometimes they are forever.

When it comes to friendships, pastor and author Bob Gass gives us the perfect prayer:

Lord, I need your wisdom to recognize the friends and associates I should choose. Help me to steer clear of the relationships that lead me away from the path you’ve laid out for me. Send people into my life who are godly and wise and will help us both to bless, encourage, and contribute to the quality of each other’s lives. Show me the friendships that are worth fighting for, and I’ll gladly do it. Be Lord of all my relationships so they will be what you want them to be.

Honor the healthy relationships in your life. Thank God for them. Pray for them. Be that friend who sticks closer than a brother.


(Photo courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net and Stuart Miles.)



TWEETABLE



No comments:

Post a Comment