Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Where's the Joy?


By Andrea Merrell

Do not sorrow, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.
Nehemiah 8:10 NKJV

 
We hear songs about joy being “unspeakable and full of glory” and peace that takes place “in the midst of a storm.” But how can that be?
 
For years I searched for peace and happiness, but my circumstances never lined up to produce what I needed. I would be content and at peace one moment and fall apart the next as soon as something went wrong. It was like living on a seesaw.

“Christians should be the most joyful people on the planet,” came from the pulpit and the radio station. I agreed but couldn’t find a way to maintain it.

That’s when God showed me the difference between happiness and joy.

Happiness is deceptive. Fleeting. It depends on what is going on around us. It can come and go as fast as a hummingbird looking for food.

Joy, on the other hand, comes from inside. And it comes from the Lord. As Sarah Young puts it in Jesus Calling:

Knowing me intimately is like having a private wellspring of joy within you. this spring flows freely from My throne of grace, so your joy is independent of circumstances. ~Jesus

How wonderful to know that the Lord fills us with His very own love, peace, and joy. They’re ours. Gifts not to be taken for granted.

In this midst of this difficult time, don't despair or be afraid. The joy of the Lord is your strength. Ask Him to fill you to overflowing.

(Photo courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net and Stuart Miles.)


TWEETABLE



No comments:

Post a Comment