Monday, April 15, 2019

When the Truth Hurts


By Andrea Merrell

 And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32 NLT


“You’re still carrying an offense.”

The words, spoken in love and not with criticism or accusation, hit a nerve—a raw one. My heated reaction revealed the truth of the statement. “I am not!”

My reaction was followed by a bucketful of tears and an afternoon of getting things right with the Lord. After a time of prayer and honest, let’s-get-real soul-searching, my heart was clean and the offense gone.

They say the truth hurts. I’ve found that to be true on many occasions. But what I’ve also discovered is when we choose to ignore it instead of facing it head-on, things only get worse. Jesus Himself said the truth would set us free. The Passion translation puts it this way:  For if you embrace the truth, it will release more freedom into your lives.

In my mind, I had forgiven. But in my heart, I still carried the offense. Left unattended to fester, it would have turned into a root of bitterness. It hurt to face the truth, but that’s what it took to set me free.

If you want to release more freedom into your life, don’t be afraid to embrace the Truth of God’s Word. His Truth will transform your life.

(Photo courtesy of Blogpiks.com and Stuart Miles.)

TWEETABLE

No comments:

Post a Comment