Monday, May 6, 2024

Excess Baggage

 

By Andrea Merrell


Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and

carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.

Matthew 11:28 NLT

 

I watched in fascination as the man trudged through the hotel lobby with a duffle bag slung over each shoulder and a camera case around his neck while dragging a large suitcase and carrying what appeared to be a computer and a garment bag. Instead of grabbing one of the carts to make his exit easier, he struggled under the weight of excess baggage.

I couldn’t help but laugh, but I felt a bit sorry for him as he carried everything on his own when there was help readily available to lighten his load.

It made me think of all the emotional baggage we carry around. Weights like anger. Bitterness. Wounds from the past. Broken promises. Shattered dreams. Yet all the while, Jesus invites us to come to Him. To allow Him to take those heavy burdens and give us rest.

Then He says, “Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly” (Matthew 11:30 MSG). That’s how He intended for us to live.

If you’re carrying around excess baggage, know that Jesus stands ready to take it from you. Give it all to Him today and walk in freedom.


Photo by Raquel Brepohl on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment