Monday, April 22, 2024

Do You Know God?

By Andrea Merrell

My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you.

Job 42:5 NIV

 

“I knew about God when I was growing up,” my friend said. "I heard His name often when my father used it as a swearword. Our home was more like a war zone.” She stopped to wipe away tears. “But now I really know Him. I’ve experienced His love, and I've seen what He’s done in my life.”

As she told me her story, I thought about Job. When we read the account of his life, we see that he was a wealthy, prominent man who lost everything—his health, his children, and his wealth. Some would say he had every reason to curse his creator and feel sorry for himself.

But in the midst of all his adversity, Job chose to trust the Lord. He said, “My ears had hear of You, but now my eyes have seen You.” And the Bible tells us that Job’s latter days were blessed even more than they were in the beginning.

I heard about God my entire life. I grew up in church. I went to Sunday school and VBS. I got baptized at an early age and tried to do all the “right” things. But my younger years were filled with all the dos and don'ts. No one ever told me I could have an actual relationship with a loving heavenly Father. I was like my friend and like Job: I knew about God. But nothing in my life changed until I really knew Him. The Master of the universe. The all-powerful Creator of heaven and earth. Yet He calls me His child and His friend.

God created man for fellowship and communion. He desires a close, personal relationship with His children. My friend now has that, and so do I. We have experienced His grace and His amazing love ... the greatest gifts anyone could ever receive.

What about you? Do you know about God or do you really know Him? 

Photo by Emmanuel Phaeton on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment