Monday, January 8, 2024

Look Up!

 

By Andrea Merrell

Unto You I lift up my eyes,
O You who dwell in the heavens.

Psalm 123:1 NKJV

 

“Stop staring at your phone,” the woman told her teenage son. “You have no idea what you’re missing. Look up!”

I’ve wanted to say the same thing to people in a restaurant. It’s sad when six people are sitting at a table, each one staring at their phone. I recently saw a sign in a local restaurant that read, We Don’t Have Wi-Fi. Talk to Each Other!

But I’ve realized lately how much I miss when my own eyes are staring at my phone or playing a game on my iPad, especially when riding through the mountains or watching a good movie on TV.

It’s the same when my eyes are downcast, so focused on my problems that I miss the abundant life going on around me. Most importantly, I miss what God is doing in and around me—and what He wants to do through me.

The psalmist said, “Unto You I lift up my eyes.” He knew with certainty that’s where his help would come from.

If you’re in a tough spot today, don’t despair. All you have to do is look up!


Photo by Courtney Clayton on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment