Monday, December 4, 2023

A Different Kind of Rest

 

By Andrea Merrell

 

He restores my soul
Psalm 23:3 NKJV

 

“What is your word for the year?” I’ve often been asked.


Until this year (2023) my answer has always been, “I don’t have one.” But at the beginning of the year, God gently spoke the word rest to my weary soul.

Rest has always been hard for me. I feel guilty going to bed early, sleeping late, or even taking a nap. I can’t stop thinking about all the other things I should be doing. Even sitting still without accomplishing something (mending, ironing, folding clothes) has been a challenge.


Giving our bodies a break is a necessary part of life to keep us healthy. But there is another kind of rest: rest for the soul.


The psalmist David tells us that our Shepherd will cause us to lie down in green pastures beside still waters. Why? So He can restore our soul (Psalm 23:2-3). Jesus Himself invites us to come to Him when we carry heavy burdens. Why? So we can find rest for our souls (Matthew 11:28-29).


Are you weary? What heavy burden are you carrying today? Fear? Worry, Anxiety? Depression? Whatever it is, give it to Jesus. He is ready to give you rest.


Photo by Sincerely Media on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment