Monday, February 13, 2023

A New Direction

 

By Andrea Merrell


Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation;

old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

2 Corinthians 5:17 NKJV

 

“It runs in my family,” the man said. “I can’t change it.” He wasn’t talking about his height or the color of his eyes. This was his excuse for destructive habits.

Unfortunately, many use this cop-out to excuse bad behavior.

We all have what some folks call “generational curses” that run in our family to some degree. Mine include addiction, anger, fear, and abandonment. But I learned early on in my walk with the Lord that these curses can be broken by the power of the shed blood of Jesus and the life-changing Word of God.

As a teenager, I realized I didn’t want to take the same path as my parents. I desperately needed a new direction. After traveling down that wrong path for a few years, the Lord captured my heart and set me on a new path. I became a new creation, and old things began to pass away. He renewed my mind and changed my heart.

There’s an old saying that goes like this:

              Watch your thoughts for they become your words.

              Watch your words for they become your deeds.

              Watch your deeds for they become your habits.

              Watch your habits for they become your character.

              Watch your character for it becomes your destiny.

The Bible says, For as he thinks in his heart, so is he (Psalm 23:7 NKJV). No matter what has been “passed down” to you, by God’s grace you can change it. Renew your mind with His Word, and watch what comes out of your mouth. Your deeds and habits will change for the better, and your character will set you in a new direction.


Photo by Nick Page on Unsplash





No comments:

Post a Comment