Monday, October 3, 2022

Take Time to Rest

 

By Andrea Merrell


Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.

Mark 6:31 NIV

 

“Are you too busy to rest,” someone asked. “Do you feel guilty when you take time for yourself?”


I used to stay so busy and tightly wound that it was hard for me to relax—ever. Even on vacation I would continually think of all the things I should be doing instead. It took me days to unwind. By the time I was actually operating in chill-mode, it was time to go home and get back to work.


There is power in rest. It’s a spiritual principle. God created the world in six days, then rested. Jesus took time to find a solitary place to rest when He was weary. He even slept in a boat in the middle of a storm. He told His disciples on numerous occasions to “come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.”


No one, as the cliché goes, can burn the candle at both ends for very long. We can’t work 24/7 and expect to stay happy and healthy. Rest is essential for our well-being.


If you’re weary, give yourself a break. If you’re addicted to activity and technology, unplug and unwind. Spend quality time with the Lord. Just as He said to the disciples, He is saying to you, “come with me … and get some rest.” Why? The Word for You Today says, “because when you don’t come apart, you fall apart.”


(Photo courtesy of Aleksandar Cvetanovic on Unsplash.)


TWEETABLE

If you’re weary, give yourself a break. If you’re addicted to activity and technology, unplug and unwind. Spend quality time with the Lord. via @AndreaMerrell (Click to tweet.)


To read in browser or leave a comment, click here.

2 comments:

  1. Love this. My friend and I were just talking about doing a personal retreat. I have done a couple before and they are so helpful. This is just a reminder that maybe it's time for another one soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just went to one a few weeks ago at a friend's farm in NC. It was wonderful and sooooo needed. Thanks for sharing. :)

      Delete