Monday, July 12, 2021

Joy in the Midst of Adversity

 By Andrea Merrell

 

But in everything and in every way we show that we truly are God’s servants. We have always been patient, though we have had a lot of trouble, suffering, and hard times.

 2 Corinthians 6:4 CEV

 

 

The Scripture reached out and grabbed me by the throat during my morning devotion. Well, at least it felt that way. It certainly stopped my petty complaining in its tracks.


 

In 2 Corinthians, the apostle Paul talks about being patient—and even happy—in the midst of adversity. He says, “We have been beaten, put in jail, and hurt in riots. We have worked hard and gone without sleep or food" (6:5).

 

I’ve been through some pretty rough times in my life, but I’ve never been beaten. Never put in jail. Never hurt in a riot. I’ve worked hard, but I’ve never gone without sleep or food. In fact, my experiences pale in comparison.

 

My sweet, twenty-six-year-old friend has a multitude of physical issues. She’s endured two strokes, a feeding tube, various surgeries, and numerous hospital visits. She’s still unable to keep food down. Her life literally hangs in the balance. She can’t function normally as most of us can, yet she finds joy and praises her Lord, sharing His love with everyone she can.

 

Paul goes on to say, “We are always happy, even in times of suffering” (v. 19). He chose joy. My friend chooses joy each and every day. No matter how difficult their circumstances, I am greatly inspired by both.

 

The next time your circumstances threaten to overwhelm you and take you under, remember Paul. Remember my friend. Look around you and see others who are dealing with much more serious issues. Then praise God. Be thankful. And most of all, choose joy in the midst of adversity. It will give you strength and carry you through those hard times.

 

TWEETABLE

When circumstances threaten to overwhelm you and take you under, you can choose joy in the midst of adversity. via @AndreaMerrell (Click to tweet.)


(Photo courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net and Stuart Miles.)

 

To read in browser or leave a comment, click here.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment