Sunday, July 12, 2020

Stillness of the Soul


By Andrea Merrell

Be still and know that I am God!
Psalm 46:10 NLT

I have a friend who turns on the television first thing in the morning, watches the news, then leaves it on mostly for background noise. Another tunes the radio to her favorite country station and listens all day. As for me, I prefer to be quiet and still.

Being quiet is easy. The problem is the stillness. While I can get my body to cooperate, my mind insists on wandering in a gazillion directions. It takes extreme discipline to tune out everything else but the Lord. Sarah Young calls it “stillness of soul.” It’s the place where we meet God and commune with Him. It’s there we pour out our heart to Him and hear His voice. It’s there we receive wisdom, guidance, and direction.

Creating that quiet, still space that belongs only to us and God is critical for our well-being and peace of mind in this chaotic world we live in. When times are hard and uncertain, God is sure. Steadfast. Faithful. And He has the answer to every single problem.

The Bible says Be still and know that I am God. The Passion Translation puts it like this: Surrender your anxiety! Be silent and stop your striving, and you will see that I am God!

Whatever you’re facing today, find that sweet, restful spot where you can be alone with the Lord. Spend time with Him, trusting in His all-sufficient love and provision. Experience that precious stillness of the soul.


(Photo courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net and jeswin.)


TWEETABLE




No comments:

Post a Comment