Monday, May 25, 2020

Take Your Bible Off the Shelf


By Andrea Merrell

 
Many years ago when I worked in a Christian bookstore, a woman brought her young son in to purchase a Bible. After a lot of searching and discussion between the two, they chose one.

Excitement radiated from the boy’s eyes as his mother paid for the Bible, then ceremoniously handed it to Him like a gold medal or coveted trophy. “Now, you take very good care of this. I’m counting on you.”

“Yes ma’am, I will.” His head bobbed up and down. “I promise.”

She shook her finger at him. “And I don’t want to see you writing in it or using one of those messy highlighters.”

The boy’s eyes grew wide, but he nodded. “Yes ma’am.”

I remember wondering what the woman would say if she saw my Bible. There are dozens upon dozens of verses underlined and many starred. I’ve written in the margins and made lots of notes in the front and back. I’ve even had to go to a professional book binder to have pages put back in place. My Bible looks like what it’s intended for—to be read.

A few have told me I need a new Bible. I’ve had several over the years. They don’t realize how hard it is to break one in. No, I’m very happy with the one I have. I know just how to find what I’m looking for. Sometimes I flip through and read the underlined portions, those passages that minister to me the most.

Yes, God’s Word is sacred. But people have different ideas about how to respect it. For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires (Hebrews 4:12 NLT). 

The Bible is not a trophy to be proudly displayed or kept on a shelf to preserve it. It's meant to be read ... and read ... and ...

Is your Bible on the shelf?

(Photo courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net and pazham.)



TWEETABLE




6 comments:

  1. Coming from a strict German background I have to say I do not write in my Bible. It took me a long time getting used to Kevin writing in his Bible. I do read my Bible every morning before I do anything else. I have my German Bible and American Bible and I switch off reading from them. I enjoy reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Long ago someone told me to write in my Bible. It’s nice to look back on the reflections that God spoke to me. Trophies are like meaningless idols. I can only imagine how special your Bible is to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is special, Deborah. I never want to have to break in another new one. LOL Thanks so much for your comment. Blessings! :)

      Delete
  3. Love this, Andrea. I often put a date beside a verse designating that I have prayed that verse on that date. It's so encouraging to come across the words at a later time and know how God answered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Gary. What a great idea to pray the verse. Thanks for sharing. Blessings! :)

      Delete