Monday, November 18, 2019

Win the Battle with Praise



By Andrea Merrell

 
This is what the Lord says to you:
“Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army.
For the battle is not yours, but God’s.
2 Chronicles 20:15 NIV

“We have no power against this great multitude that is coming against us, nor do we know what to do.”

These were the words of King Jehoshaphat (2 Chronicles 20:12) when he faced three different armies that had combined to wipe out his land. He confessed his predicament and cried out to the Lord. Then he said, “Our eyes are on you.”

The Lord answered, “Do not be afraid.” He assured Jehoshaphat that the battle belonged to Him, not an earthly king. Then he gave some rather unorthodox instructions. He told the king to put the choir in front of the army. Can you imagine? God wanted them to praise their way into victory. And so they did.

Have you ever been in a situation where it seems all the powers of hell have combined to wipe you out? I know I have. In those times, the last thing our flesh wants to do is to start praising the Lord. We want to kick and scream, grumble and complain. But God doesn’t respond to tantrums. He responds to our faith and our heartfelt praise.

The next time you’re in a tough situation, remember that the battle belongs to God. Put your worship on. As Bob Gass says, “Begin to praise God, and the forces of heaven will come to your aid.”


(Photo courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net and Chaiwat.)




TWEETABLE



2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Andrea. I always enjoy your devotions and gain something that helps me through my day. I love your phrase "remember that the battle belongs to God. Put your worship on." As a soldier dresses for battle, we must dress ourselves in praise and ready ourselves for what we encounter in the hours and minutes ahead. We never know what Satan will throw at us so we must be ready at all times. You reminded me this morning to put my battle gear on and get ready to worship my way through my day. :-) Blessings to you my friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Sheryl. Thanks so much. Your comments are such a blessing! :)

    ReplyDelete