Monday, September 9, 2019

Please Behave


By Andrea Merrell

 I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way.
O when wilt thou come unto me?
I will walk within my house with a perfect heart.
Psalm 101:2 KJV 
 
“Can you just please behave?”

We all say that to our kids. Once when I said it to one of my granddaughters, I heard this in my spirit: Can you?

David said, “I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way … I will walk within my house with a perfect heart.” Those are some powerful words: behave, wisely, perfect. Does God really expect perfection?

Let’s break the verse down a little. The NLT says, “I will lead a life of integrity in my own home.” Integrity. That’s our key. It simply means doing what’s right even when no one else is looking or will ever know—except, of course, God.

We’re not expected to be perfect, but as we grow and mature, we are warned to stay away from:
  • Looking at things that are vile and vulgar
  • Dishonest people
  • Perverse/evil people and ideas
  • Those who gossip and slander
  • Conceit and pride

It’s easy to get caught up in these ungodly behaviors, especially when we’re alone, thinking we’re hurting no one. But the truth is we hurt ourselves. And we hurt God.

When we allow ourselves to entertain and dwell on behaviors such as these, we fill our heart and mind with perversity. Sin is seductive. It lures us in, promising pleasure. But the Bible tells us that sin’s pleasure is fleeting and temporary (Hebrews 11:25). Then it drops us, leaving us empty and unfulfilled, riddled with guilt and shame.

How do we overcome? By submitting ourselves to God and inviting Holy Spirit to guard our mind and heart. The best solution is found in Philippians 4:8: And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise (NLT).

That's how we learn to behave.
  

(Photo courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net and Clare Bloomfield.)



TWEETABLE



 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment