Sunday, May 12, 2019

An Unexpected Mother's Day Gift


By Andrea Merrell

 
Every good and perfect gift is from above, 
coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, 
who does not change like shifting shadows. 
James 1:17 NIV 

This particular Mother’s Day was an unusual one. After bringing my husband home from a shoulder replacement and a two-day stay in the hospital, I was spending the day reading and watching him sleep. He had jokingly apologized earlier for not getting me a gift or even a card. I assured him it was perfectly okay, considering what he just went through.

My day changed drastically when I picked up a journal to write down some things I’m grateful for. My daughter had given me this beautiful, leather-bound journal some time ago, and I had never used it. When I opened the cover, I realized my daughter gave me the journal ten years ago—on Mother’s Day.

That was blessing enough, but inside were these words:

                  Dear Mom,

I want you to know that I am so very proud of you and how far you’ve come with your writing. You are cultivating a gift that not only are you extremely passionate about, but that inspires others to better themselves. So, thank you for the blessing that you are, especially to me as my mom, but also to those you write to. You say that I’m a great mom … but only because I followed your lead! Happy Mother’s Day!

Love you bunches!
Your Daughter

What an amazing gift, not only from my baby girl, but from my heavenly Father, who knew I needed those words to make my day special.

God knows exactly what we need and when we need it. He takes joy in giving us those unexpected gifts (I call them UBs … unexpected blessings). 

Be thankful and delight in Him. You never know what special gift might be waiting for you.

 

(Photo courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net and adamr.)


TWEETABLE

God knows exactly what we need and when we need it. He takes joy in giving us unexpected gifts. via @AndreaMerrell (Click to tweet.)


 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment