Monday, March 25, 2019

Endless Chores and Clutter


By Andrea Merrell


I’m a list maker. Always have been. But sometimes I feel as if I’m about to be swallowed by my enormous list … much like the whale swallowed Jonah.

No matter how hard I try to get everything done, the tasks take on a life of their own as they multiply. There’s always more to do than time allows.

I love what Sarah Young writes in Jesus Calling:

Do not be weighed down by the clutter in your life: lots of little chores to do sometime, in no particular order. If you focus too much on these petty tasks, trying to get them all out of the way, you will discover that they are endless. They can eat up as much time as you devote to them. Instead of trying to do all your chores at once, choose the ones that need to be done today. Let the rest slip into the background of your mind so I can be in the forefront of your awareness. ~Jesus

Recently, I had a month where I was facing twelve appointments of various kinds (eye doctor, physical, tests, MRI, shots, blood work, etc.). Add to that my regular domestic responsibilities (bills, cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping) on top of several editing jobs with deadlines, then throw in two sets of out-of-town company (one of which stayed a week). I had no idea how to get through the month without a complete meltdown.

Then the Lord, in His loving and gracious way, invited me to take His hand and allow Him to walk me through each task, focusing only on one day at a time. I did only what had to be done each day and refused to think about the rest of the days ahead of me. It was amazing how smoothly those four weeks went, not to mention the peace that filled my heart.

I’ve learned that there will always be demands on my time, and some will scream louder than others. But God is concerned with everything that concerns me, right down to my to-do list. With Him by my side, I can accomplish more than I could ever imagine.

If you’re feeling overwhelmed, take His hand and let Him guide you. Allow Him to set your agenda. You, along with Father, Son, and Holy Spirit make an unbeatable team.


(Photo courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net, 89studio, and Stuart Miles.)



TWEETABLE



 



No comments:

Post a Comment