Tuesday, November 20, 2018

The Spiritual Act of Rest


By Andrea Merrell

 
Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary
and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest."
Matthew 11:20 NLT

I don’t know about you, but I’m not very good at resting. Even when I try, my mind spins out a to-do list three miles long and reminds me there’s no time to take a break.

Somehow, we’ve been deceived into thinking rest is equivalent to lazy. Not so. Even Jesus took time to pull away from the demands of the crowd to rest and spend time with His Father.

What we fail to realize is that when we learn to rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him (Psalm 37:7), God sees it as an act of worship. Be still, and know that I am God (Psalm 46:10). But those who wait for the Lord [who expect, look for, and hope in Him] will gain new strength and renew their power (Isaiah 40:31 AMP). In returning and rest you shall be saved. In quietness and confidence shall be your strength (Isaiah 30:15).

In Jesus Calling, Sarah Young writes: “Rest in Me, my weary one, for this is a form of worship.”

In God’s kingdom, everything has a purpose—even rest. When we’re weary, He invites us to simply come to Him. In His presence, we will find rest for our soul.

As you go through this holiday season, take some time away from the busyness of your day, and spend it with the Lord. He invites you to rest.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

(Photo courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net and Stuart Miles.)


TWEETABLE


To read in browser or leave a comment, click here.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment