Monday, April 30, 2018

But I Can't Do That ...


By Andrea Merrell

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:13 NKJV

It’s remarkable what we think we can’t do until we have to.

Looking back over the years, I’m reminded of all the things I thought I would never master. Everything from learning to use chopsticks to driving a stick-shift to operating a computer. It seems, as they say, practice makes perfect. Well, maybe not perfect but certainly better.

Now, as a lifetime, bona fide, right-handed chick, my left hand is learning to pick up the slack because of a right shoulder issue. You don’t realize how challenged you are until you have to eat, stir, reach, and lift with the opposite appendage. I haven't had to write with my left hand (yet), but I did do some left-handed painting this past weekend. It's a little like a baby learning to walk ... lots of falls and getting back up.

My husband tells me I can do whatever I set my mind to. And the Bible tells me I can do all things through Christ. That means, when I trust Him, He gives me the strength for whatever task I might face. The Message puts it this way: Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.

It’s easy to grumble and complain when we deal with any type of handicap—whether temporary or permanent—but I realize how blessed I am when I see videos of mothers with no arms changing diapers with their feet, babies with no arms feeding themselves with their feet, and athletes with no legs doing amazing exploits.

If you’re facing a difficulty and think you can’t, call on the One who can. He will empower you and give you whatever you need to get the job done.

(Photo courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net and Master Isolated Images.)

TWEETABLE

If you’re facing a difficulty and think you can’t, call on the One who can. He will empower you and give you whatever you need to get the job done. via @AndreaMerrell (Click to tweet.)


To view in browser, click here.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment