Monday, March 19, 2018

This Too Shall Pass

By Andrea Merrell


Ever have so many problems you feel as if you won’t make it through another day? I’ve had many of those moments, especially within the past year, and have found myself saying, “This too shall pass.”

We all know trials are part of this earthly existence. They come with the package. But our response to them can many times determine the length and severity. Keeping our focus on the Lord instead of the problem is the biggest key.

Our burdens may seem to linger with no end in sight, but they all have a shelf life. Situations and circumstances I once thought would never change have been transformed by God’s miraculous, loving hand. With Him all things are truly possible. In fact, God calls those heavy burdens “light and momentary troubles” (2 Corinthians 4:17 NIV). The verse goes on to say that these troubles are gaining for us “an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.” I love the way the Message puts it in verses 16-18:

So we’re not giving up. How could we! Even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without his unfolding grace. These hard times are small potatoes compared to the coming good times, the lavish celebration prepared for us. There’s far more here than meets the eye. The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can’t see now will last forever.

I’ve learned that when the storms of life rage all around me and the darkness closes in, my hope is renewed as I look to the One who loves me, is always with me, and cares about everything that concerns me. With one single word, He can calm the storm and cause the light to break through. Even if the storm continues to rage, He fills me with His peace and gives me a new, godly perspective.

If you’re experiencing a trial that is threatening to take you under, don’t give up. Be still and listen for His voice. He is saying to you, “Hold tightly to my hand, my child. This too shall pass.”

(Photo courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net and Stuart Miles. )

TWEETABLE

To read in browser, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment