Monday, September 19, 2016

Has God Stopped Talking?

By Andrea Merrell


The Sovereign Lord has given me his words of wisdom,
    so that I know how to comfort the weary.
Morning by morning he wakens me
    and opens my understanding to his will. 

Isaiah 50:4 NLT

As soon as I said “God told me,” she checked out and stopped listening.

“What? God doesn’t talk to us!” She shot me a look that clearly said I was crazy, then walked away.

I wanted to ask her exactly when God stopped talking. He spoke the world into being and had daily fellowship with Adam and Eve. He spoke to Moses from a burning bush, a cloud, a pillar of fire, and the cleft of a rock. He chastised Balaam from the lips of a donkey. He instructed Paul through a vision and Joseph in a dream. He spoke to Mary through an angel and continually warned His people through the prophets.


That’s a lot of talking. So when exactly did He stop?

Thankfully, He hasn’t … and never will.

God loves us with an all-consuming love and desires a personal, intimate relationship with each of His children. So why would He leave all the communication up to us? Relationship is two-sided. That’s why He sent the Holy Spirit to live inside us to lead, guide, comfort, instruct, and correct.

God speaks through His Word and in that still, small voice in our quiet times with Him. His words can be heard through the lips of a trusted friend and in the “I love you” of a child. He can give us a life-changing word even through a stranger.

What I would have told my friend—if she had been willing to listen—is that God has spoken to me many times in many different ways. My responsibility is to listen and respond.

If you think God is too far away or too busy to care about you, think again. He cares about everything that concerns you, and He is patiently waiting for you to call on Him.

God is always ready to talk to His children. Are you listening?

(Photos courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net/Pansa/Stockimages.)

TWEETABLES



To read in browser, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment