Monday, January 23, 2017

Open Your Mouth and Say Aah

By Andrea Merrell

Going to the doctor is never a pleasant experience, especially when he tells you to open your mouth and say aah while pressing down with that little wooden paddle. I have a very quick and sensitive gag reflex, so this is one part of an exam I’d like to skip.

The purpose of this procedure always puzzled me until I found out a medical professional can gain a lot of valuable information about what’s going on in our body by examining the tongue.

Just like the tongue can tell much about our physical health, it can also give us a clear indication of our spiritual health. James 3:6 (NLT) calls the tongue a flame of fire … a whole world of wickedness. Verses 7-10 go on to say, People can tame all kinds of animals, birds, reptiles, and fish,  but no one can tame the tongue. It is restless and evil, full of deadly poison. Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God. And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right.

Whenever I focus on what’s coming out of my mouth, I find out what’s in my heart. Proverbs 4:23 (NIV) says, Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. Luke 6:45 tells us the mouth speaks whatever the heart is full of.

Sometimes when I think my heart is pure and filled with good things, my mouth betrays me. When that happens, I’m busted. All my excuses fall flat, and I know it’s time for a check-up.

What about you? Is your mouth in sync with your heart? Is your tongue causing you a problem? If so, maybe it’s time to come before the Lord, open your mouth, and say aah.

(Photos courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net/patrisyu/lekkyjustdoit.)

TWEETABLES  



To read in browser, click here.




No comments:

Post a Comment