Monday, June 15, 2015

Seize the Day

By Andrea Merrell

Jesus said to another, "Follow me."
He said, "Certainly, but first excuse me 
for a couple of days, please. 
I have to make arrangements for my father's funeral."
Jesus refused. "First things first. Your business is life, 
not death. And life is urgent: Announce 
God's kingdom!" Then another said, 
"I'm ready to follow you, Master, but first excuse me
while I get things straightened out at home."
Jesus said, "No procrastination. No backward looks.
You can't put God's kingdom off till tomorrow. 
Seize the day."  
Luke 9:59-62 MSG


Someone recently asked if I was faithful to do things on God’s timetable, according to His schedule, rather than my own. The question made me stop and think of all the things God has placed in my heart and instructed me to do. Have I done them?

Well … I intend to.

We all know the drill. When we’re especially busy, it’s easy to procrastinate. We put things off until we feel better, finances improve, the kids go to college, or a gazillion other reasons.

It’s been said we judge others by their actions while we judge ourselves by our intentions. Analyzing my mental to-do list, my intentions are great. My follow-through? Not so much. The question I have to ask myself is this: If God has something specific for me to do and I procrastinate, am I being disobedient. Probably not in all cases, but sometimes there is only a small window of opportunity. When I don’t respond quickly, I can miss a blessing or the chance to bless someone else.

We all have excuses. When Jesus said, “Follow me,” He was met with all sorts of excuses. One man wanted to wait until he made funeral arrangements, while another wanted to take care of things at home. Jesus had other plans and all He asked for was trust and obedience.

I am a creature of habit and live by my to-do list. But I’ve found that when I surrender that list to the Lord and allow Him to order my steps and arrange my day, He blesses me in supernatural ways and creates divine appointments that are amazing and wonderful. That’s when I know I’m on the right path, fulfilling my God-given calling.


TWEETABLE

To read in browser, click here.

(Photos courtesy of morguefile.)


No comments:

Post a Comment