Monday, April 6, 2015

Milestones

And we know that all things work together for good 
to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Milestone: A significant point in development.

Can you look back over the path of your life and see strategically placed milestones along the way that have dramatically altered your course? You might be amazed at the people, situations, and events that have shaped you and brought you to where you are today, even though you didn’t realize it at the time. These learning experiences are motivators that propel us toward our calling, our purpose, and our destiny.

In 1997 my family went through several traumatic situations and the Lord directed us to a church where we could be accepted, loved, and restored. At that time, a guest speaker was teaching on “The Father’s Love.” His ministry had such an impact on me that I was forever changed as the revelation of God’s unfathomable, unchangeable, and unconditional love exploded in my heart. God taught me that He is truly not a “respecter of persons.” In other words, He never plays favorites. He loves me and wants to bless and use me just as much as anyone else that is submitted to Him.  Having been a Christian for a long time, this change in mindset was a huge step for me in my relationship with God, my confidence and faith in Him, and my self-esteem.

Shortly after that milestone, while attending a marriage retreat, the speaker questioned me about my passions and priorities. When he found out my passion for writing was on the bottom of my priority list, he encouraged me to put it on the top and “get busy!”  “After all,” he said, “you’re not getting any younger, you know.” 

At the beginning of 2008, I had a life-changing conversation with a very talented and gifted writer and speaker who has become a friend, an encourager, and someone I consider a mentor. She assured me a writing career would never get off the ground as long as I was staying in my own little world and trying to make it happen all by myself.  She encouraged me to go to conferences, get involved in a local writers group, and network with other writers. Since that time, God has opened doors of opportunity only He could open. I just had to put some feet to my prayers.

Don’t ever try to live in the past, but don’t forget those milestones that mark the path to your destiny. God will work all things together for your good and His glory. That’s a promise.

(Photo courtesy of Aaron Cook Photography.)

TWEETABLE





No comments:

Post a Comment