Monday, August 4, 2014

WHAT’S YOUR SHELF LIFE?

By Andrea Merrell


Fill us each morning with your constant love, so that we may sing and be glad all our life. Psalm 90:14 TEV

I’m a tightwad who comes from a long line of tightwads. I was taught to clean my plate, re-cycle everything that could possibly ever be used again, and not to spend any money except when absolutely necessary. It’s my grandfather’s fault. My husband says he was so tight he would squeeze the buffalo on a nickel until he sneezed  . . .  or something like that

Growing up in that environment made me very aware of being wasteful. Throwing away food still makes me cringe. I save almost every leftover and still have to do battle with the “clean plate rule.” When perishables and non-perishables alike go past the expiration date in my pantry or fridge, I sigh as I reluctantly toss them in the trash.

The truth is, most things have a shelf-life. In the grocery stores, products have to be carefully checked each day and the older items brought to the front. Lots of products are stamped with the following; “This product best if used by . . .” It’s wise to read the label.

Have you ever thought about your own shelf life?  Whatever your age, have you stamped yourself with an expiration date, thinking you’ll be used up, outdated, and good for nothing after that date? Will you ever allow yourself to be tossed out and discarded, missing opportunities to bless and be blessed because you think your time of usefulness has passed?

The truth is, God is the only one who knows the expiration date for each individual.  He knows the number of hairs on our head and the number of our days.  He also sees each one of us as precious, valuable, and usable for His glory as long as we draw breath. The good news? Once we pass our expiration date on this earth, we’re stamped with a new one that says, “Good for eternity.” 

(Photo courtesy of theintentionallife.com.)




No comments:

Post a Comment