Monday, June 18, 2018

What's In Your Heart?


By Andrea Merrell

For whatever is in your heart determines what you say.
Matthew 12:34 NLT

The words were out of my mouth before I could stop them. I cringed. Where in the world did that come from?

My answer was found in Matthew: For whatever is in your heart determines what you say.

Seriously? I had no idea that thought was in my heart. It had somehow bypassed my head and implanted itself in a deeper place. Ouch!

Maybe that’s why Proverbs 4:23 says above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.

Guarding our heart sounds like a huge responsibility. Well, it is. Everything we’re exposed to on a daily basis affects us in one way or anotherwhat we see, hear, read, listen to, and especially what we allow our minds to fixate on. Before we know it, our heart is filled with debris that needs to be cleaned out. That’s where prayer, repentance, and God’s Word come into play. As Ephesians 5:26 tells us, we are sanctified and cleansed with the washing of water by the Word.

The next time your thoughts and mouth betray you, check the source. The commercial asks “what’s in your wallet?” But God is asking “what’s in your heart?”

(Photo courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net and usamedeniz.)

TWEETABLE

 



No comments:

Post a Comment