Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Thank God for Overnight Guests

By Andrea Merrell


You also, like living stones, are being built 
into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, 
offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God 
through Jesus Christ. 
1 Peter 2:5 NIV


As I zoomed through the house changing sheets, dusting, vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms, and doing all the last minute things you do before company arrives, I had a bit of an epiphany.  The realization that hit me was how thankful I should be for overnight guests.

My house usually stays pretty much “decent and in order,” but when you live somewhere 24/7 and lead a busy life, you tend to get used to or overlook certain things. Those minor details that we no longer pay attention to (cobwebs, fingerprints on the French doors, dead bugs on the windowsills, dirty fans and light fixtures) might be the very first things our guests will notice. It’s a matter of taking off the rose-colored glasses and getting out the magnifying glass.

Sometimes I have to do the same in my spiritual life. This spirit, soul, and body that I deal with 24/7 can become slack, causing me to overlook important elements to my wellbeing. When my quiet time with the Lord gets interrupted or my study of His Word gets pushed aside because of busyness (or laziness), things get out of kilter. When I worry and fret over things I should be praying about instead, my stress level goes up, and I know it’s time to clean out the cobwebs. That’s when God reminds me He is a permanent guest in my heart, and I should keep it in order at all times.

So, thank God for those occasional overnight guests who cause me to take a closer look at my housekeeping and take care of those things that are long overdue. And thank God for His mercy and grace as He gently reminds me it’s time to clean up my spiritual house.

(Photos courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net/FrameAngel/jk1991)

TWEETABLE


No comments:

Post a Comment