Monday, August 10, 2015

Roaring Lions and Yellow Jackets

By Andrea Merrell

Be self-controlled and alert.
Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion
looking for someone to devour.
1 Peter 5:8-9 NIV


The front porch of my log home, with a comfy swing and view of the mountains, has been my peaceful place for over thirty years … at least until last week when I had a run-in with some crazy yellow jackets.

My plan was to sit on the porch while one of my granddaughters rode her bike in the driveway. Seems the nasty varmints had a different plan. As I started to ease myself down onto the swing, they attacked—my foot, ankle, and all up the back of my left leg. It felt like a thousand needles being shot into my skin.

Talk about a way to ruin a nice afternoon …

After Benedryl and a host of home remedies, my foot and leg were so swollen the next morning, a visit to the doctor was the first thing on my agenda. That was followed by a round of prednisone, ice packs, ace bandage, ibuprofen, and a whole lot of pain.

So, why am I telling you this? As a friend pointed out to me, sometimes the enemy attacks us even in our “safe” place when we least expect it. The Bible tells us to be self-controlled and alert because he prowls around like a roaring lion (or in my case, a nest full of yellow jackets) looking for someone to devour.

I love the way the Message translation puts it: Keep a cool head. Stay alert. The Devil is poised to pounce, and would like nothing better than to catch you napping.  Keep your guard up.

Even though my husband sprayed the porch and knocked down fifteen nests (yes, FIFTEEN … three of them underneath the swing), my safe place doesn’t feel so safe anymore. Going outside has given me a slight case of paranoia, which I will get over eventually. The situation could have been much, much worse. 

In the meantime, I will be reminded to stay alert, keep my guard up, and trust in the Lord to keep me from harm.

(Lion photo courtesy of freedigitalphotos and Maggie Smith.)

TWEETABLE
What do roaring lions and yellow jackets have in common? via @AndreaMerrell (Click to Tweet.)

No comments:

Post a Comment