Monday, July 6, 2015

Blind Spots

By Andrea Merrell

But how can I ever know what sins are 
lurking in my heart? Cleanse me
from these hidden faults. And keep me from 
deliberate wrongs; help me to stop doing them.
Psalm 19: 12-14 TLB


Few things are worse than a car with serious blind spots. Frustrating and dangerous, they can leave the driver –who is not being careful and paying close attention—vulnerable to major problems.

It’s the same with our spiritual walk. Blind spots … we all have them. Without the Holy Spirit revealing them to us, we may never see our sin, our bad habits, and our negative traits. Even when we feel like we know ourselves better than anyone else, we tend to overlook, ignore, or justify things that simply need to change.

On the flip side, we can also be blind to talents, abilities, and God-given, innate qualities that need to be recognized and nurtured.

It’s been said that “we’re our own worst enemy.” This is especially true when we refuse to look at ourselves closely in the light of God’s presence and the mirror of His Word.

Don’t let your blind spots derail you. It’s far better to recognize and deal with them than to have someone else point them out to you. Let’s pray along with the psalmist: Cleanse me from these hidden faults. And keep me from deliberate wrongs; help me to stop doing them. God will come to our rescue, remove the blinders, and light the path before us.

(Photo courtesy of morguefile.com and picmonkey.)

TWEETABLE

To view in browser, click here.



No comments:

Post a Comment